COVID-19 Response & Resources
California Association of Food Banks and its food bank members continue to work to ensure that our most vulnerable communities have consistent and safe access to nutritious food. Our food banks are putting solutions in place that will mitigate potential disruptions to their programs and services during this national emergency.
Together with our 41 food bank network, we are:
- Sending out extra food so our vulnerable neighbors will have an emergency surplus.
- Buying cased and repacked food, including produce for safe and easy distribution.
- Maintaining our high standards of food safety and increasing the frequency of cleaning and sanitizing our facilities.
- Encouraging social distancing at our distribution sites by extending the hours and creating drive-thru options.
- Prioritizing the health and safety of our clients, volunteers, and staff with proactive communications of the symptoms and prevention measures.
- Advocating with our state and federal officials to reduce paperwork and increase access to food resources for those in need.
Our food bank network remains committed to keeping critical food resources moving to people who need them. We are monitoring this evolving crisis and responding to ensure we are following the guidelines and recommendations of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and local health department.
The California Association of Food Banks ensures that food banks get what they need to do what they do best: feed our communities.
- Here is a list of food assistance resources
- Here's a statewide hotline for resoureces & information: 833-544-2374
- Find a food bank (then contact them for pantry information)
- Apply for CalFresh
- Volunteer now: See what food banks need volunteers
- Donate to a food bank: Find a food bank
- Donate to the California Association of Food Banks
- How is COVID-19 Spread?
- COVID-19 FAQ
- Learn How to Protect Yourself
- Como Protegerse
- Plain Language COVID-19 Prevention Recommendations (long version here)
- Spanish Plain Language COVID-19 Prevention Recommendations (long version here)
- FRAUD ALERT: USDA Warns of Scams Targeting SNAP Recipients
- COVID-19 Information for CalFresh Advocates
- Immigration & COVID-19
- COVID-19 Prevention Practice for Food Banks & Food Pantries
- COVID-19 Resources for California's Nonprofits
- Community Resources available if you are impacted by Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Recursos disponibles si se ve afectado por el Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- U.S. Small Business Administration is offering low-interest federal disaster loans
- CDC Factsheet: What you need to know about COVID-1
Translations Arabic | Bengali | French | German | Hindi | Italian | Japanese | Korean | Mandarin Chinese | Portuguese | Russian | Spanish | Tagalog | Turkish | Vietnamese
- USDA guidance on Pandemic EBT, meal delivery, school meals, and more
- California Department of Social Service (CDSS) guidance summary
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) mass gathering guidance updated 3/18/2020
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) general guidance
- TEFAP guidance on waiving signatures
- COVID-19 Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and Seamless Summer Option (SSO) Meal Delivery Using Existing Authority
Statements & Releases
HR 6201 - Families First Coronavirus Response Act
HR 6379 - "Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act"
COVID-19 Update #9 - Wednesday 4/1/2020
- Updates about the CARES Act (inc. the Paycheck Protection Program and the Coronavirus Relief Fund), the new statewide hotline, Reps. Omar & Haaland's legislation to suspend school meal debt collection, and Capitol Action Day
COVID-19 Update #8 - Thursday 3/26/2020
- Updates about the census, child nutrition waivers, self care, and more.
COVID-19 Update #7 - Tuesday, 3/24/2020
- Updates about the National Guard, food box delivery to food banks, online food orders for CalFresh recipients, SNAP/CalFresh scams, and HR 6379.
COVID-19 Meal Boxes Update - Friday, 3/20/2020
COVID-19 Update #6 - Information updated through Friday, 3/20/2020
- Updates about National Guard deployment to food banks, emergency funds, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (HR 6201), links to the CA Dept. of Education's "CA Meals for Kids" app.
COVID-19 Update #5 - Information updated through Tuesday, 3/17/2020
- Addresses the "shelter in place" guidance for seven Bay Area counties.
- Includes updates from the California Department of Public Health, the California Department of Social Services, the U.S. Small Business Administration, and the Governor's Office.
COVID-19 Update #4 - Information updated through Friday, 3/13/2020
- Includes updates on new State guidance, the USDA's Foods Program Disaster Manual, guidance from the CA Dept. of Social Services, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (HR6201), and the latest from USDA on Child Nutrition Program Meal Service during COVID-19 outbreaks.
COVID-19 Update #3 - Information updated through Wednesday, 3/11/2020
- Includes updates on our request for federal dollars, the work we're doing to secure funding for temporary staff to mitigate harms from the volunteer shortage, our distribution work, and an update from CDSS on TEFAP requirements.
COVID-19 Update #2 - Information updated through Tuesday, 3/10/2020
- Includes update for summer meal providers.
COVID-19 Update #1 - Information updated through Monday, 3/9/2020