Volunteers are the lifeblood of a food bank. Each year, hundreds of thousands of Californians donate their time to make sure their communities receive the food they need. Our member food banks rely on thousands of individuals, families, school groups, church groups, and scout troops each and every day. See the list below for just a few of the many opportunities awaiting you at your local food bank:
- Work in the warehouse
- Package food for food pantries and soup kitchens
- Screen and sort fresh produce to distribute to children’s snack programs
- Work in the office
- Operate your food bank’s Emergency Food Hotline
- Provide general clerical support
- Conducting CalFresh (food stamp) Outreach
- Serve as a translator for people signing up for CalFresh in your county
- Help educate eligible families and seniors at CalFresh Outreach events
To see what other opportunities are available, please contact the food bank in your area. Volunteers are especially needed during the non-holiday season. If you or your group is interested in serving your community, our member food banks can help you get started!
Short on time but still interested in fighting hunger and improving nutrition in your community? A recurring gift can be one of the best ways to support your local food bank all year round. Please visit our Donate page for more information.