May 28 2019 |
Author: Teresa |
We had a fantastic time at this year’s Capitol Action Day meeting with legislators to discuss anti-hunger budget and policy priorities.
These priorities include enhancing food bank capacity, ensuring a smooth rollout for the CalFresh expansion to SSI recipients, expanding funding for CalRecycle, and enhancing economic security for working families. For a further breakdown of legislative priorities, click here.
We honored Assemblymember Buffy Wicks, AD 15, Assemblymember Eloise Gómez Reyes, AD 47, Assemblymember Susan Talamantes Eggman, AD 13, and Assemblymember Marc Berman, AD 24, for their ongoing commitment to ending hunger in California.
In her remarks, Assemblymember Wicks emphasized her belief that access to food is a human right.
Assemblymember Berman spoke to the importance of making sure no one has to choose between paying rent and feeding their family.
Assemblymember Eggman made connections between fighting food insecurity and fighting the proliferation of food waste.
Assemblymember Reyes reiterated her commitment to helping Californians live with dignity.
More than 40 participants took part in the legislative visits, including representatives from these member food banks and partner organizations:
- Community Action Partnership of Kern Food Bank
- Food for People
- Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
- The Western Center on Law and Poverty
- Alameda County Community Food Bank
- Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz County
- Jacobs and Cushman San Diego Food Bank
- San Francisco-Marin Food Bank
- FIND Food Bank
- Imperial Valley Food Bank
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County
- Community Action of Napa Valley Food Bank
- Westside Food Bank
- Food Bank Santa Barbara County
- Food Bank for Monterey County
- Community Action Partnership of San Bernardino County
- Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services
- Redwood Empire Food Bank
- Food Bank of San Luis Obispo County
We’re thankful to the legislators who work alongside us in the fight against poverty and food insecurity in California. We’re looking forward to continuing the momentum!