February 13, 2019 - CalFresh benefits for March will be issued on a single day, Friday, March 1, 2019, rather than the normal staggered issuance cycle of the first through the tenth of the month. This change will mitigate the effects of the early issuance of February benefits and the resulting gap in food assistance. Counties shall continue all other CalFresh operations as usual. The full notice from CDSS is available here.
January 25, 2019 - The government has been funded through February 15. If there is no deal at that point, the government could shut down again. If there is another shutdown, USDA could fund SNAP/CalFresh benefits for March and April, as long as April benefits go out by March 15 (30 days after February 15).
We also encourage you to continue to check the FNS website for the most up-to-date information.
The Continuing Resolution that was funding USDA and nutrition programs including SNAP/CalFresh expired on December 21. USDA has not received appropriations to fund SNAP/CalFresh past January 20 and has instructed states to issue benefits early – no later than January 20. After January 20 there are USDA SNAP contingency funds that will be available until they run out.
BASIC INFO ON CALFRESH & GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN
- For most CalFresh participants, February benefits will be issued early, between January 16-20.
- If you receive CalFresh and have a report due in January, please complete that ASAP. If you are still eligible, your benefits will be issued February 1-10.
- There are no changes for people applying or reapplying for CalFresh at this time.
- We do not know about March benefits at this time. We will share updates as soon as we can.
- If you need food, call 2-1-1 or find a food bank here: http://cafoodbanks.org/find-food-bank
- Report problems here: http://bit.ly/foodstamp_shutdown
DOWNLOAD A FLYER OF THESE CHANGES
- Chinese (pdf)
- Dari/ Farsi (pdf)
- English (pdf)
- Punjabi (pdf)
- Spanish (pdf)
- Vietnamese (pdf)
- Tagalog (pdf)
- Marathi (pdf)
- French (pdf)
REPORT PROBLEMS WITH CALFRESH